/images/a_03.gif
Information Centre Slaný
FOR TOURISTS - All about the town of Slaný, its history, monuments and today’s appearance. Tips for trips in the surroundings.
Infocentrum Slaný na Facebooku
Info

Infocentrum Slaný
Pod Velvarskou branou
Velvarská 136/1
274 01 Slaný

Phone: 312 523 448
e-mail: ic@infoslany.cz

Operation hours:
Mon - Fri
9.00 - 17.00
Sat, Sun, Hollidays
9.00 - 16:30


Zimní otevírací doba:
(listopad – březen)

Po – Pá
9.00 - 16.00
So, Ne, svátek
Zavřeno
Doporučujeme
© 2007 Infocentrum Slaný

Culturally Historical Wandering 6.2 - 9

This project is co-financed by the Central Bohemia Region.
http://www.centralbohemia.cz/?language=2 

6/2 Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný - Slaný in Fortifications

At the turn of the 13th and the 14th century, the town´s historical centre was surrounded by stone fortifications. A double belt of fortifications was completed by citadels and water moats, and interrupted on the main roads by gates named Pražská, Lounská, and Velvarská. On the south-west side, there was a smaller gate named Fortna, originally only for the pedestrians, and the town thus gained a shape of a strictured pentagon. With the ever improving military technologies, the fortifications gradually lost their defensive function. They were not maintained anymore, they deteriorated, and in the end, they were demolished to a large extent in the years 1835-41. Their remains are well visible particularly in the "U Brodu" part.

Lounská Gate – the place where the gate used to be situated is documented by house No. 101. In 1425, the gate was demolished, and it was rebuilt in 1460-72. The historical look is recalled by Josef Šembera´s tacked painting from 1822. In 1835, the gate was demolished.

Town Savings Bank – Thriftiness Sculpture. In 1838, a house was built here as a seat of the royal Austrian-Hungarian gendarmerie (1854), and from 1859 on, there was the 1st Slaný printing office in the back wing of the house, owned by F. Jeřábek. In 1872-86, it was a seat of the telegraph office. In 1920, the town sold the house to the Town Savings Bank (established in 1896), which had its seat here until March 1930, when the entire object was demolished. The new building of the town´s savings bank was built according to a project of architect Alois Mezera, Slaný native, and opened festively on the 15th November 1931. The Thriftiness Sculpture was made from Bohdaneč sandstone in the studio of academic sculptor Václav Nejtek, as well as the bronze double embossment above the main entrance, and the Carrara marble embossment in the vestibule.

Corner House No. 103 was rebuilt in 1873 by its owner, Josef Stumpf. The facade, only preserved in the upper part of the house, is from 1911.
The Kynský Street – the street of Dominik Kynský, the first Piarist in Slaný, formerly named the Poštovní Street.

House No. 549 was built in the period between 1873-75 by Leopold Svoboda in a former vacant land plot leading to the royal Austrian-Hungarian Postal and Telegraph Office, which had a seat in the Palackého Street at the end of the 19th century.

House No. 128 called "V Templu". The name of this house (a former pub) was derived from the chapel that used to be behind it. The pub became known due to a fact that in 1855, the Slaný theatre company began to operate in its spacious hall, together with the Sokol association in Slaný. There also was the first Jewish chapel in the house called "V Templu".

House No. 115 is decorated by a memorial plaque stating that this house was the birth place of Dominik František Kynský (1777-1848) – a Piaristic priest. The memorial plaque was embedded to the house on the 28th September 1877.
House No. 114 – during the reconstruction of the former district office, an archaeological survey was conducted here, discovering two walled buildings embedded in the earth, the remains after iron processing, and over 4000 ceramic fragments dating back to approx. half of the 14th century.

House No. 148 was the birth place of JUDr. Josef František Frič (1804-1876) – Czech lawyer and politician. The memorial plaque was embedded to the house on the 26th May 1907, and the street where the house used to stand was renamed to Fričova. In the garden, a Black citadel was preserved from the town´s original fortification.

Jewish Synagogue, house No. 149 was built in 1865, together with the German Jewish school. The synagogue is not open to public.

Pražská Gate used to enclose the eastern part of the fortified town. The stone gate was built here in place of the original gate in 1402. It was demolished in September 1841, because it allegedly obstructed continuous traffic. Only several elements of the original sculptural decorations were preserved, being exhibited today on the first floor of the Slaný Geographical Museum. The gate´s illustrations were preserved in several paintings (the most famous of which is the oil painting of Karel Würbs from 1855). The gate marks are also visible under the fortifications in the "U Brodu" area.

House No. 15 was built in 1822 in place of the former charnel house and the first school in Slaný.
In 1820-22, the houses were demolished, and also the cemetery adjacent to the St. Gothard Church was abandoned. A new house was built here, where the 1st kindergarden in Slaný was placed.

St. Gothard Church – according to the legends, a temple sanctified to St. Gothard used to be located in place of the present church in Slaný already in 1137. It was built by a nobleman named Mladota. In the report dated 1137, the church is called a basilica. From that time, also the fragments of walls were preserved on its northern side, including the loophole window next to the tower. The church, as well as the provostry, was not a part of the walled town originally, and both the buildings were situated outside the fortifications. Only after the town spread out, and it was fortified anew and more effectively, the church was included inside the fortification; it actually became a part of it. In the second half of the 13th century, the church was rebuilt into an Early-Gothic three-isle temple with an advanced chancel. The remains of the Early-Gothic walls were preserved in the lower parts of the enclosure walls, including most of the window gaps and pillars in the main altar isle. The church was rebuilt several times. It was extensively renewed in the years 1874 and 1890 by the architect Rudolf Štech. The church tower is 43 metres high. There were four bells in the church tower: Gothard was the greatest (1494), Vojtěch the middle (1508), and Dominik the smallest (1512 – requisited during World War I); the passing bell Erasmus (1521) was the fourth.

House No. 14 the so called Modletický, is a house with a corner oriel window and preserved Renaissance stone portal. The apex stone of its semi-circle arch is formed by a label with a datation 1578, and with the SW initials on the vertical double-head arrow. There is a statue of St. John of Nepomuk with two angels on a prismatic beam (epistyle) above the arch. The statue is of a latter date, and it was restored in 1996. The eastern part of the house is decorated by preserved stone portal of the former entrance, and an elliptical alcove with a statue above.

In house No. 33, the innkeeper named F.R.Svoboda opened a permanent gallery "Aleš", which offered more than 300 originals of Czech authors only, for viewing, and also for sale. In the 1930s, there used to be a renowned café here with a brothel.

House No. 34 is called Maňasovský, and has preserved stone sculptures from the 15th-16th centuries in the wall alcoves. There is a stone symbol of horse above the entrance to the house.

In house No. 35, Josef Lacina used to live in the years 1880-95, the professor at the Slaný grammar school, and the first historiographer of our town, the historian and the writer who published his works under the pen-name Kolda Malinský.

Komenského náměstí Square, formerly called "Kozí ryneček" or "Kozí plácek" with the building of the 2nd elementary school. There used to be a suzerain brewery in place of the present school, built by Jaroslav Bořita, count of Martinice. The brewery was in operation until 1884, with some interruptions. The entire complex was subsequently bought by the town of Slaný, which had a boy school built here, opened in 1895.

Fortna. The short Fortenská Street got its name after the fourth town gate, the so called "fortna". It resembled the Velvarská gate. In 1564, the town had it rebuilt, and added a water-tower next to it, which has been preserved until today. "Fortna" was demolished in 1850. According to a tradition, it was the only gate which the master executioner from Slaný could use to enter the town from his house nearby.

House No. 53 in the Soukenická Street is decorated by an eagle sign in an elliptical cartouche above the entrance.

House No. 68 with a memorial plaque of Karel Alois Vinařický, a Czech priest, a national awakener (1803-1869), which was dedicated on the 24th July 1870.

Memorial plaques of J. Šípek and R. Černý by the entrance to the market place from the Soukenická street read that there used to be a house No. 55 in this place, which was the birth place of Josef Šípek (1906-1960), who was imprisoned and tortured to death by the communists. The second name on the plaque commemorates René Černý (1914-1950), a major of the Czechoslovak Army, and a member of the Czechoslovak troops in England, who was imprisoned by the communists and executed in Prague.

Husova Street also used to be called Široká or Lounská. Mosaic pavements with granite curbs and the re-pavement of the roadway in the street were carried out in 1903.

House No. 96 partly extends also to the Soukenická Street. The memorial plaque reads that the Czech poet and dramatist Jaroslav Vrchlický (1853-1912) used to live here, and that this house was a birth place of his brother, Bedřich Frída (1855-1918), a translator, a pedagogue, and a writer.

House No. 94 – Jan Šultys (Šoltys) was born here around 1560, later a teacher in slaný and in Kutná Hora, where he advanced up to the position of the town´s mayor. He was ennobled, and then he used to write his name as Jan Šultys of Felsdorf. He was one of the royal professional commissioners, and as such, he ended his life during the Old Town´s Execution on the 21st June 1621, by Executioner Mydlář´s sword. After the house was bought by the Fähnrich family, it served the purposes of a pub named "U tří bažantů". It was rebuilt to the present appearance in 1882.

House No. 93 belonged to F. Duras, a photographer and a museum keeper in Slaný, who ran his "photographic business" here at the turn of the 19th and the 20th century.

House No. 107 „U lodi“ was a significant cultural centre of the town from the 18th century on. It was here, where probably the "first amateur theatrical performance in the Czech language" took place in 1820. The couching inn was used by the theatre amateurs later on as well. At the end of the 19th century, the inn became extinct, and the original one-storey house was rebuilt to the present appearance in 1913.

House No. 90 was the birth place of the Slaný chronicler, later also the Slaný primate and Martinice district officer of the Slaný dominion, Daniel Vepřek (1600-1657).

House No. 89 was one of the first cultural facilities in Slaný. In 1871, the bookstore of the book printer and the publisher František Neubert from Slaný was open here. In the beginning of the 1880s, Václav Klement learned to be a book-seller here, a Velvary native, later a great personality in the Czech automotive industry.




7. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný

Slaný – Dolín – Beřovice – Zlonice – Bakov – Želvčice – Slaný

The track begins at the Information Centre in the Masarykovo náměstí Square (the former Piaristic College house, No. 159). From here, we will set off in the direction of the cemetery and the monastery with the Holy Trinity Church (we will go through the Velvarská Gate from the turn of the 13th century). We will walk along the Na Vinici Street to get to the vine-growers´and the fishermen´s column, and we will take the path to the left, uphill, or we will continue straight to the cross, from where we will also get to Dolín.

THE COLUMN OF THE VINE-MAKERS AND THE FISHERMEN FROM SLANÝ
It is a copy from the workshop of the academic sculptor Václav Nejtek. The column was originally placed by the wall of the cemetery in Ovčáry, near the St. Václav Chapel. Its model is exhibited in the Slaný Geographical Museum.

DOLÍN
The village was established by the Benedictines in Slaný around the year 1305. The first written remarks date back to 1325. The remark about the local Church of St. Simon and Juda with beautiful secession decorations is of the same date. Below the church, we will turn left, and we will get to Beřovice. On the way, we will pass an alcove chapel from the first half of the 19th century.

BEŘOVICE
The first preserved remarks about the village of Beřovice date back to 1348. In the village, there is a memorial of the folk writer Valerián Pejša, and the Lourdes Virgin Mary Church is situated in the village green. It is a Baroque building, octo-lateral with an eight-part cupola and a lantern. It was built in 1732. From Beřovice, we will get directly to Zlonice via the main road.

ZLONICE
The oldest primeval settlement of the Zlonice land register is proved by the archaeological discovery of a burial ground with bent skeletons of the Únětice culture. Zlonice were the royal property, and later the emperor Joseph I. promoted the village to a townlet. The Baroque Church of Assumption of the Virgin Mary is architecturally dominant in Zlonice, visible when entering Zlonice on the right hand side of the road. Besides the Assumption of the Virgin Mary Church, there are other Baroque sights in Zlonice. Antonín Dvořák´s Memorial, the former hospital, built at the expense of count Filip Josef Kinský in 1745. A part of the Antonín´s Memorial is also formed by an organist house known as "Varhaníkovna", which was festively open to public in 1984. New town hall was built in place of the old one from 1707 and the house No. 136 in the 1890s. In the years 1891-93, the builder Václav Faigl built a new primary school in Zlonice, and on the 16th September 1911, an additional building of the burgess school was completed. There also is a railway museum in the village, with the exhibits focusing on the period prior to 1939.

JEWISH CEMETERY IN ZLONICE
As the Jews could not live in Slaný, administered in the Middle Ages according to the Magdeburg Law, the first Jewish settlements around Slaný were found in Zlonice. According to the preserved reports, they settled here at the end of the 16th century, and the local Jewish Community was one of the oldest in Bohemia. The old Jewish cemetery remained here as a permanent memorial. From Zlonice, we will take the road leading back to Slaný, past the cemetery; we will pass the villages of Bakov and Želevčice. On the way, we will pass an old stone cross situated on the right hand side, built in 1858.

BAKOV
The first written remarks about the village date back to 1267. A square chapel with a belfry in the village green is an ecclesiastical monument, Baroque originally, modified in the 19th century.
Bakov Sgrafitti
At the Bakov estate grange, there were precious sgrafitti uncovered in 1900, probably from the 16th century. The sgrafitti probably presented about one meter high pictures of different animals, with floral ornaments in between, as well as different hunting and fishing scenes. The remains of the uncovered sgrafitti are still visible on the southern part of the former Bakov fortress.

ŽELEVČICE
The first written remarks about the village date back to 1227. The local fortress became extinct in the 17th century. The feudal house from the middle of the 18th century today serves the purposes of a private gallery. The grange ("špejchar") in the village green dates back to 1776, the chapel is from 1913.

The overall length of the track is 17.5 km. It is suitable for tourists, also on bicycles. The path includes roads of the 2nd and 3rd class.
Slaný – Dolín 3,5 km
Dolín – Beřovice 2 km
Beřovice – Zlonice 3,5 km
Zlonice – Bakov 3 km
Bakov – Želevčice 1,5 km
Želevčice - Slaný 4 km


8. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný – Slaný – Short Round Trip

The track begins at the Information Centre in the Masarykovo náměstí Square, which is a historical centre and the heart of the town of Slaný, with acreage of 1ha, 35ares, and 13 square metres. The square remembers magnificent visits of rulers and noble people, the tumults of military bodies of all possible armies, and the delegations from distant cities. In 1425, the square was lit up by the fire from the meat shops´ pyres, where the victorious Hussites from the Tábor party burnt a large portion of the town´s defenders to death. There used to be a pillory in the middle of the square, as well as other means of the justice at that time (brakes, cages, and wheels with chains). The ultimate punishment was carried out by sword in a place of execution, which was always built for this purpose. The last public execution was carried out on the 1st September 1656.
In 1681, a Plague Column of the Holy Trinity was built in the square, which was, however, torn down and destroyed in 1920. The original round fountain from 1529 was rebuilt at the end of the 16th century. New fountain was built here in 1825. The fountain got its present appearance in 1873 thanks to the sculptor named Wurzel. In 2006, the fountain was restored on the occasion of a meeting of the V4 presidents.
The statue of the first president, Tomáš Garrique Masaryk, was dedicated in the Slaný square on the 28th October 2000. It was the work of academic sculptors Miroslav Pangrác and František Radvan, and the metal founder Petr Dvořák.

FORMER PIARISTIC COLLEGE
The Piaristic College was built in 1660 in the open space left by the houses destroyed in the Thirty Years´ War. It was established by Bernard Ignác Bořita, count of Martinice on the 1st July 1658. The Piaristic College with the Chapel of Virgin Mary served the purposes of educating the youth from Slaný and its surroundings until May 1939, when the grammar school moved to the new building in today´s Smetanovo náměstí Square. The left wing of the Piaristic College was the first permanent stage of the Slaný theatrical amateurs in the years 1846-1877. In 1939, the Geographical Museum moved to the building vacated by the old grammar school, and in 1960 the town library, today the V. Štech´s Library got new premises here, and the house is also the seat of the Slaný Information Centre. In 1997, a new cinema was built and open in the building´s back wing

ANCIENT UNGELT, HOUSE NO. 4 – in 1377, Slaný was granted ungelt (dose of salt) from the ruler, against a loan, together with the office of "šrotéřství" (selling this salt at the town charges). The house from the 16th century was Late-Gothic originally, modified in Baroque, and newly restored in the 1st half of the 19th century. There is a passage with an original carriage way in the house, leading to the street named Štechova today. In 2007, the house went through a massive reconstruction

SLANÝ TOWN HALL, NO. 3, is located in the area of the former town hall, being dedicated to the town of Slaný on the 23rd June 1378 by Charles IV, the emperor and the king. He gave a house to the town of Slaný for the purpose of building the town hall, being the emperor´s via the right after the deceased citizen Lukáš. The emperor made the donation with an explicit order that the town shall arrange this house to serve the purposes of the town hall. The original house was one-storey high, with a high gradational gable, windows, and high prismatic tower of a square platform, as high as the present tower, and with a gallery. The tower had an onion roof with a belfry decorated by a star. On the first floor level, there was a 24-hour astronomical clock, reminding the one in Prague.
In 1751, Michal Bořita, count of Martinice, had a new house built in place of the old town hall, which, however, completely burnt during the fire on the 2nd August 1795. In the years 1795-96, the town built a new town hall, equipped with tower clock with two iron dials, with two cimbaloms above them. In 1890, the town hall in Slaný went through other greater modifications, being arranged in a Renaissance style by Rudolf Štech, an architect from Slaný. The tower is 43 metres high, segmented into two storeys. There are dials on all sides of the upper storey, with a rectangular window with straight lining above and below. The corners are bottom-up encased by rows of rustic stones.

We will leave the square via the Velvarská Gate, to continue to the Hlaváčkovo náměstí Square.

VELVARSKÁ GATE
The last gate of the town of Slaný, and one of the few remains of the fortification at all. Factual reports mentioning the gate are from 1443, in connection with the sale of houses in the surroundings. It was renewed during the George of Poděbrady rule. The Velvarská Gate originally consisted of the actual gate, the pre-gate area with battlement, the bridge over dry moat, and on the left had side, in the direction of the Velvarské předměstí district, it was sheltered by a citadel. During the 16th century, the gate burnt down several times, and it was reconstructed. The last reconstruction took place at the turn of 1993-1994. The tower is 38 metres high. The carriageway is 8 metres long, 4.70 metres wide and tall. The span of the arch at the sides is 2.80 metres.

HLAVÁČKOVO NÁMĚSTÍ SQUARE – In 1869, Josef Hlaváček (1831-1911) was elected the next district mayor of Slaný, a native from Královice near Slaný. Josef Hlaváček entered the public life in 1864, when he became one of the founding members of the Civic Savings Bank. He was the head of the Slaný district as the town mayor for more than thirty years (1869-1903). By his authority, he also had merit in the establishment of three district charity institutions – a hospital, a sickness house, and an orphanage. He also greatly participated in the establishment of the District Economic Loan Office (1882), and in the building of the District House (Wilsonova Street). Josef Hlaváček´s merits in the development of Slaný were appreciated by his contemporaries already, and he was therefore appointed an honorary citizen of Slaný. On the 26th March 1930, the Slaný town council decided to name the open space encircled by the former sickness house, the orphanage, and the Winter Economic School after Mr. Hlaváček, in honour of the former Slaný portreeve and longtime district mayor.

HOLY TRINITY MONASTERY OF THE DISCALCED CARMELITES ORDER IN SLANÝ
Franciscan originally, now Carmelite Monastery in Slaný, was one of the first marks of the region´s restoration after the ravage of the Thirty Years´ War when it was established in 1655. The church itself was built in 1581-1602. The reconstruction of the church and the construction of the monastery took place in 1655 – 1670. The fire in 1665 made a reconstruction necessary; probably lead by Giovanni Domenico Orsi, an Italian architect. It was then that the church got the present open Baroque appearance, the semi-circled chapels on the sides, and the cupola vault. The Loreto Chapel with a statue of Black Madonna constitutes the centre of the temple, and its heart. The chapel was built in the centre by count of Martinice, after he returned from the pilgrimage to Loreto, Italy, in 1657. The monastery´s convent is inhabited by the Discalced Carmelites Order which has operated in Slaný since 1993, and it gradually goes through general reconstruction, including the adjacent garden.

Past the cemetery wall, we will walk on until we get to the Column of the Vine-Makers and the Fishermen

THE COLUMN OF THE VINE-MAKERS AND THE FISHERMEN
The original column was erected as early as in the time of Charles IV, other resources date it back to the 16th century. It was originally placed below the St. Václav Chapel in Ovčáry, and then it was moved above the cemetery. The existing copy was made by Václav Nejtek, an academic sculptor, in 1943. The remains of the original column were transported to the Geographical Museum, but they were also used for the construction of the road to Velvary.

ST. VÁCLAV CHURCH IN OVČÁRY
The church was probably established in the pre-hussite era. The first written remarks date it back to 1465. The church has a polygonal chancel, with the actual isle obviously diverted, which may, apart from the technological causes, be given by the symbolism of Christ´s bent head on the Crucifix. The church was restored to get the present appearance in 2004, when it was also consecrated again.

SLANÝ SPA – the "spa" used to be situated in place of the present fire house in the 19th century. It was created upon the suggestions of the royal Austrian-Hungarian regional office in Slaný, and the former portreeve named Scharf. The citizens expected also healing effects, thanks to the existence of two wells under the Slánská hora hill, the famous "miraculous" mineral water from the legends. The spa was completed in 1843. It was also built with materials from the demolished Pražská gate (pulled down in 1841). Unfortunatelly, it soon turned out that the locality was not selected well. It was not possible to build additional spa buildings, or parks, and moreover, the water in Slaný was no miracle. The running of the spa was not profitable. The spa was finally cancelled in 1938, when the entire object was dedicated to the volunteer fire company. They demolished the building, and built a new fire station. The name of the street – Lázeňská ("Spa"), is all there is to remind of the former spa.

SLÁNSKÁ HORA HILL AND THE SLANÝ ("SALTY") SPRING
This stone massive of a volcanic origin gives character to the entire scenery. Slánská hora is a protected natural monument, and a nature trail, and a newly established forest park. The salty spring that used to rise from the foot of the hill probably gave the name to the future town. Due to an advantageous position in the middle of fertile land, but also due to protective reasons, Slánská hora was much sought after by the primeval inhabitants of our coutnry. Later on, a settlement was established under the Slánská hora, documented by two deeds of Přemysl Otakar II from 1262 and 1271.
The spring itself is connected with a legend of its discovery by prince Nezamysl and his suite. The hill of Slánská hora (330 metres above sea level) is a Tertiary eruptive rock of a volcanic origin, last active in 1726. On the 1st February 1998, the locality was declared as a protected natural monument, and it offers a nice view of the entire town.
At the top of the hill, there are three crosses, symbolizing the suffering of people from Slaný during the Thirty Years´ War.

PALABA
Famous "battery" in Slaný was one of the youngest in comparison with other industrial plants in town, but due to its rapid start, it was comparable to the Baťa plants in Zlín. The founder of the plant, Jaroslav J. Pála, put the modern industrial plant into operation in the beginning of October 1925. Production increase surpassed the former expectations. The following year, it was already necessary to further extend the plant, which was from then on called PALABA Slaný, and employed up to 800 employees. After the nationalization in 1946, the plant was renamed to Bateria.
In front of the rail crossing on the left, we can see the building of old slaughter-house.

SPEEDWAY STADIUM
On the way, we walk past the speedway stadium on the left hand side – The MOTO Club Slaný was established on the 1st December 1922. The idea of creating a speedway stadium in Slaný originated in the years 1948- 1949. The history of speedway races in Slaný began on the 13th August 1950. Speedway was, and still is, the most prominent sport in town. The officials in Slaný have always been progressive, which can be documented by the fact that in 1954, the electric lights were installed here, and on the 26th May, the first Czechoslovak race took place here under the electric lights.

RECULTIVATION OF A LANDFILL
In December 2003, a year-long recultivation of a former municipal waste landfill was completed. In the town´s history, there has been no enterprise comparable as to the extent of the earth works. In the memory of the event, a Mrákotín-granite rock of almost six tons was put up in the place.

HOLY SEPULCHRE
We will walk among gardens and we will take a forest path rising slightly uphill to arrive to the Chapel. The Holy Sepulchre Chapel is located on a hill in the southern part of the town. This imitation of the sanctuary in Jerusalem was built by count Bernard Ignác of Martinice in 1665, after he returned from Jerusalem. The original chapel is still standing in Jerusalem today. The fact that it has been an objective of pilgrims since time immemorial can be documented not only on old reports from their journeys, but also on minor works of art. We can see the images of the Holy Sepulchre on reliefs, on ivory boards, or as decorations on vials which served the purpose of carrying consecrated oils, wine, and water back home. The actual architecture has undergone a number of changes; it was close to destruction several times, and then modified fundamentally. The engraving created by Erhard Reuwich in 1483 is well known, depicting the chapel in Early-Medieval form, which was retained untill the fire in 1808, after which it was pulled down and built anew. The chapel in Slaný is formed by a polygonal core, and its front is structured by a blind arcade carried by columns of several types. The actual part is overbuilt by a polygonal-platform arbour with a bellcast roof. When we enter, we find ourselves in a so called angels´ chapel, where there is a blockstone on the floor, symbolizing the stone rolled away in front of Christ´s grave. Behind, there is the entrance to the tomb itself, where there is a range on the Northern side, where the body of Christ rested.
According to some sources, it is the oldest building of its kind in Bohemia. The chapel is a monument from Early Baroque.

COTTON MILL – HONORÉ DE LIESER
The original cotton-yarn mill in the Ouvalova Street was destroyed by fire in 1900, and baron de Lieser had a new, modern mill built in Kvíček in 1903. In 1914, it was built by the Ferdinand Přibyl and Sons Company. After the nationalization, the mill became a part of Benar, national entreprise.

THE "NA VYHLÍDCE" LOCALITY
Over the past years, archaeologists have been very active around Slaný. Among others, the exploration also took place in the "Na Vyhlídce" locality (former "Na Vejrovně"). The linear culture findings date back to 5 000 years before Christ.

GREAT LAKE OF SLANÝ
At the end of the 15th century, there were tens of extensive lakes in Slaný and its surroundings. The fishermen´s guild then was one of the richest in town, together with the winemaking guild. The hauls were events attracting people from afar. Fish, namely carps, pikes, and trouts, often got as far as to the royal dining tables. The first disaster for the lakes came with the Thirty Years´ War. A lot of them vanished then – there were no powers, no money to maintain the dykes, and water began to flood fertile plains. After the Battle of the White Hill then count Jaroslav Bořita of Martinice dealt the final blow to the lakes, abolishing the remaining ones. It took 240 years for the fame of the fishermen of Slaný to die out. Altogether, 97 vast lakes were abolished. There are no running waters around Slaný, except for several small streams with no fish. Sports fishermen would go to the rivers of Ohře, Berounka, Vltava, or Labe, which, however, were quite far away, and the most often used means of transport then was the train, cars were very scarce. Therefore in 1937, upon a suggestion of Jindřich Skorkovský, several fishermen got together and decided to establish a fishing club in Slaný. In 1951, the Great Lake of Slaný was built between the towns of Studeněves and Slaný, called a "Dam", later "Novas", serving the purposes of a flood pool for the town of Slaný. As the lake´s dyke was leaking, it had to be repaired several times, and the lake was planted with fish only after 1954. The Slaný lake was officially presented for utilization in 1956.

MULTIPURPOSE SPORTS HALL
is situated in the south-west part of the town of Slaný.
Historically, 1978 was the year when the covered winter sports hall was open to public next to the functional athletic stadium with a slag track. You can also find a football field here, or covered swimming pool. There is ice stadium in the winter hall. The northern platform shelters large gym underneath, equipped for ball games. There also is squash and two bowling lines. In the fitness centre, all forms of aerobics can be practised. The stadium became popular mostly due to regular events organized here with international participation. One of these is the annual ice hockey school of Mr. Tomáš Kapusta – former international player and longtime extra-league player, playing in Canada, the U.S.A., Finland, and Sweden for several years, as well as similarly oriented ice hockey school of currently the best ice hockey player in the world, Jaromír Jágr.


9. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný

Slaný – Byseň – Lotouš – Neprobylice – Kutrovice – Kvílice – Třebíz – Hořešovice – Hořešovičky – Zichovec – Žerotín – Panenský Týnec

The track begins at the Information Centre in the Masarykovo náměstí Square (the former Piaristic College house, No. 159, interesting building of the old town hall, No. 3). From here, we will set off along Husova Street and Václava Beneše Třebízského Street, leaving the town of Slaný. From Slaný, we may use road No. 16 (direction Řevničov), from which we will turn right onto the road No. 23638 leading to Byseň.

BYSEŇ
Ancient settlements around Byseň are confirmed by archaeological findings in the village, in the direction of Lotouš. The first written remarks date the village back to 1316. The only historical monument in the village is represented by a chapel from 1860. The efforts to preserve the remains of the medieval fortress were unsuccessful.

LOTOUŠ – Písek
United villages, the historically older of which is Lotouš. In the village´s land register, a burial ground was discovered with bent skeletons of the Únětice type. The first written remarks about the village date back to 1227-28. The village of Lotouš belonged to the town of Slaný, from which it was confiscated in 1547, returned in 1562, and confiscated again after the White Hill Battle (1623), when it became the property of the Martinic family from Smečno, together with the entire dominion. The taxation roll from 1654 mentions four estates here, and they still formed the base of the village in the beginning of the 20th century. At that time, there were three more houses mentioned here, and a Holy Trinity Chapel dated to the middle of the 19th century. In the settlement named Písek by the state road, the most significant was the building of the coaching inn. A hamlet named Libuš reminds of mining; the Libuš and Arnošt mines nearby belonged to the Beyer coal district at the St. Ján near Libovice.

NEPROBYLICE
The first written remarks document this village in 1316. From 1397 on, the village was divided to an upper and a lower part. In the upper part, a fortress named Hrádek was built. The lower part lapsed to Vaněk of Hřivice, who built the second fortress here. At the end of the 16th century, the village was united again after the long years. Václav Pětipeský had the Hrádek fortress rebuilt in a Renaissance style during 1587-8, and he left the lower fortress abandoned. Church of the Holy Spirit from 1741, Baroque originally, was modified in the 19th century. There is a belfry in the village green, rebuilt in 1896 in place of an older, Renaissance belfry. There are two tomb stones in the belfry walls, transferred from the demolished church. The first one contains a figure of a knight Václav Pětipeský of Chýš and Egeberk, who died on the 7th March 1602; the second presents a purposefully truncated figure of a woman, and belongs to Mandeléna of Adlar († 1604), the wife of Odolán Pětipeský the older. The third tomb stone, destroyed in the 19th century, belonged to Alžběta Vojkovská of Milhostice († 1610). There are three bells in the belfry. The cross in front of the belfry is from the 19th century. There are two linden trees by the belfry – dedicated to Masaryk and Beneš. The cellars and the remains of walls of Hrádek today form the foundations of a ruin of the former grange and later a shed of the Martinic and Clam Martinic family. There are two sandstone boards embedded in the southern part of the former fortress, with emblems of Václav Pětipeský and his wife Ižalda (Alžběta) Vojkovská of Milhostice, and the third board underneath bears an inscription saying that knight Václav Pětipeský rebuilt the fortress at his own expense. The sundial on the wall of the former shed was restored in 1926, according to the inscription.

KUTROVICE
The settlement of the present village in the primeval ages is proved by archaeological findings of vessels belonging to the Bylany Culture, discovered in 1900 in the local brick plant. The first written remarks about the village date back to 1366. There is a nice restored chapel in the village; the local cross presents a minor monument.

KVÍLICE
The village is first mentioned in 1211. The ancient St. Vitus Church (built around 1366) burnt down in 1884, and it was rebuilt in 1886-87 according to the plans of R. Štech. Wooden belfry near the church is from the 16th century, adapted in 1663. The building of the vicarage in Kvílice is from 1882. In the old Kvílice school, Václav Beneš Třebízský was one of the pupils, and his parents are buried at the local cemetery. V. Beneš Třebízský mentions the village in a number of his short stories. There is an ancient mill in the village, with an interesting well, combined with a pigeon-hole and a statue of St. John of Nepomuk.

TŘEBÍZ
The historical beginnings of the village and the local fortress are not documented in writing. The Slaný Ethnological Museum in Třebíz is dedicated to the folk culture of the local area. It is a demonstration of the folk building development and of the way of living, agricultural farming, and the village life in general.
House No. 1 is the most significant, the estate called "Cífkův statek", the seat of the reeve with a right to run a tap-room, with a grange, a cellar, stables, and other farm buildings. House No. 4 has an interior of a little village shop, little cottages No. 62 and 64, originally the rent-charges of the estates, and No. 10 and 11, former cottars´ houses, equipped correspondingly to the turn of the 19th and the 20th century. House No. 10 shelters a half-timbered, rammed earth barn in the garder, documenting the construction style of the end of the 17th and of the 18th century.
St. Martin´s Baroque Chapel in the village green dates back to the half of the 18th century.
The house where the priest and the writer Václav Beneš Třebízský was born (No. 19) is a permanent exposition documenting his life and works.
Above the village, there are sandstone rocks with caved cellars and a Piety embossment from an unknown folk artist. On the rock, there is a monument dedicated to Václav Beneš Třebízský on the 14th August 1892. The authors were František Hergessel and František Procházka

HOŘEŠOVICE
The village of Hořešovice has first been mentioned already in 1227.
The first remarks mentioning the local vicarage date back to 1352. Besides the local petty nobility, also the Lords of Žerotín, Toužetín, and Neprobylice were among the patrons of the St. Peter and Paul Church in Hořešovice. The church is situated in place of the original chapel; there is a Gothic presbytery of the existing church where the chapel used to be. The church was first documented in 1321. Nearby the church, there is a wooden belfry on a stone base, of a Renaissance architecture originally. The statue of St. John of Nepomuk in the village green is dated 1863.

HOŘEŠOVIČKY
The first remarks about Hořešovičky date back to 1390, in connection with the local ruler Racek of Hořešovice the Small.
The baroque chapel of St. Martin, with the emblem of the Kinský family above the entrance, dates to the second half of the 18th century.

ZICHOVEC
Zichovec is the last village in the Slaný perimeter. The first remarks about the village date back to 1407. We can only speculate about further destiny of the village. In the 16th century, part of it belonged to Srbeč, the other part for a short term belonged to the Peruc dominion. After the Thirty Years´ War, one part of the village belonged to the Vraný dominion of Jan Zdeněk Vratislav of Mitrovice, and the second part belonged to the Valkoun family of Adlar in Zlonice. In the first half of the 18th century, the entire village belonged to the Ditrichstein dominion Budyně. The chapel in the village dates back to 1895.

ŽEROTÍN
The Žerotín castle, with a village of the same name below, was built around the beginning of the 13th century. The castle was probably built by Habart of Hořovice (1229), the burgrave at Přimda. During the Swedes´ invasion in the Thirty Years´ War, the castle was conquered and plundered, and it was never restored later on. Today, there are only two columns of the original walls remaining of the castle, and part of the cellarage. Also the water moats are well visible. The St. Blažej Church was built in 1800. The pseudo-Romanic chapel in the village is from 1900.

PANENSKÝ TÝNEC
The name "Týnec" derives from the word Týn, or the old-Celtic "Taun" and means an enclosed area, fortified by stakes. "Panenský" – derives from the Virgins Clarissas of the Franciscan Order. The first written remarks about Týnec are from 1115, and then it is mentioned in 1186 as a village. A deed from 1321 speaks of a townlet. Before 1280, Habart of Žerotín built a monastery in Týnec, and brought the Clarissas of the Agnes Monastery in Prague here. Around 1320, construction of a magnificent monastery church began, which, however, could not be finished, due to fire in 1382, and than due to the outbreak of the Hussites wars. In 1420, the Hussites burnt the monastery out. The Žerotíns, however, renewed the monastery, and the Clarissas returned there (to dwell here for the next 220 years). In the monastery Holy Trinity Chapel, there was the Žerotín family tomb, and the tombs of the abbesses. There are no preserved documents about its extinction, but it is likely that after the fire in 1722, the monastery was never repaired, and it was gradually demolished.
In 1548, the monastery convent was rebuilt (completed) in a Renaissance style by abbess Anne of Litoměřice (the inscription "AZL 1548" above the monastery entrance). After the Battle of the White Hill, the Clarissas from Týnec returned to the renewed monastery in Prague, and they only used the monastery in Týnec as a summer seat, and as an administrative centre of the local farm. The purely Czech monastery was abolished during the Joseph´s reforms in 1782.
In 1797, the Panenský Týnec dominion was bought by a burgess Jan Tuscany, and his family kept Týnec until 1854. The Tuscany family first dwelled in the monastery, which they perceived as insufficiently spectacular. Therefore, they built a small castle in the northern part of the court, around 1842. Later on, MUDr. A. Maixner (T. G. Masaryk´s doctor) wanted to have this castle rebuilt to serve the purposes of water spa. He did not succeed, nevertheless, and the castle was pulled down after 1948. The Tuscanys established new cemetery (outside the village), where they built a Classicist Empire tomb in 1800.
In 1856, Týnec was bought by Vojtěch Renner of Prague. During his administration of the dominion, Mrs. Pavlína Kašparová built a steam-engine brewery, where beer was brewed for almost fifty years. That was the time of the greatest progress of Panenský Týnec.
In 1872, Panenský Týnec was bought by countess Terezie of Herberstein, she annexed the Týnec dominion to the original Žerotín dominion after 512 years, and she remained the owner until 1945.
The one-storey building of the monastery, orginally built for St. Agnes of Bohemia, was built as a three-isle. Today, the remains of the later Renaissance reconstructions are preserved here. In the northern wing, there was the entrance to the monastery with a semi-circle portal from 1548. Adjacent to the monastery, there are the ruins of the monastery church. The entrance to the monumental fragment of a Gothical temple is an entering richly decorated portal. A Gothic belfry was built on the platform of the three-isle temple in 1722.
Church of St. George was rebuilt to get the appearance of the original chapel (from 1318 – established by Plichta of Žerotín as a remembrance of being knighted at the State´s Council in České Budějovice on the 23rd April 1318) after 1722, and it was repaired in 1904. There is a tower clock with a daily manual wind-up system on the church. A Baroque chapel of St. John of Nepomuk is from the first half of the 19th century, and in 1999 it was rebuilt and consecrated again. The tomb of Jan Tuscany – a Classicist Empire tomb from 1800 dominates the new cemetery. By the cemetery´s northern wall, there is a tomb of Benedikt Orezl, a traveller, inventor, and discoverer of large number of orchids. (Roezl´s statue is at the Karlovo náměstí Square in Prague).
The torso of the non-finished monasterial Gothic church in Panenský Týnes is at present very much sought for as a source of positive and healing energy which it emanates.

The overall length of the track is 22 km. It is suitable for tourists, also on bicycles. The path includes roads of the 2nd and 3rd class.

Slaný – Byseň 3,9 km
Byseň – Lotouš 2,3 km
Lotouš – Neprobylice 1,34 km
Neprobylice – Kutrovice 1 km
Kutrovice – Kvílice 1,9 km
Kvílice – Třebíz 1,7 km
Třebíz – Hořešovice 1,7 km
Hiřešovice – Hořešovičky 1 km
Hořešovičky – Zichovec 2,2 km
Zichovec – Panenský Týnec 3,6 km

Print Top