St. Gothard’s Church, Slaný
In the place of an original Romanesque basilica the dean’s St. Gothard’s church was built in the Gothic style. Then, partly on older foundations the vault of the today’s three-aisle structure, presbytery and sacristy was built. The presbytery is covered with a tracery vault, decorated at the beginning of the 16th century with paintings of the blessing Christ and the evangelists. On this occasion Christ’s head was put on the apex stone of the vault in the presbytery. An original Renaissance font dating back to 1511 is also worth mentioning. The original late Gothic truss and a late Gothic door dating back to the early 16th century in the western portal have also been preserved until now.
Deanship no. 16 , Slaný (historical monument)
It lies just north-west of the St. Gothard’s Church - a building with a Gothic core, rebuilt in the late Baroque style at the beginning of the 80s of the 18 century. Another adaptation followed in the 19th century. The interior was refurbished in 1991-95. A classicist granary is situated within the site.
God’s Grave, Slaný
The God’s Grave Chapel is situated on an elevation in the southern part of the town. Bernard Ignác of Martinice had this imitation of the sanctuary in Jerusalem built in 1665 and it is considered to be the oldest construction of this type in Bohemia. The chapel is an early Baroque monument.
Holy Trinity Monastery of Barefooted Whitefriars, Slaný
This originally Franciscan, today Whitefriar monastery belonged to signs of renewal of the region destroyed by the Thirty Years’ War at the time of its foundation in 1655. The church was built in 1581 - 1602 as a cemetery church for the town. The Loretto chapel with a Black Madonna statue represents the centre and heart of the church. Bernard Ignác of Martinice had the chapel built after his return from a pilgrimage to Loretto, Italy in 1657. Its walls are decorated with a cycle of scenes from the life of the Virgin. The convent of the monastery has been occupied by the order of Barefooted Whitefriars since 1993 and it has been subject to a gradual complete refurbishment, incl. the adjacent garden.
Black Bastion - former town fortifications, Slaný (historical monument)
The town of Slaný grew in the boundaries preserved by the buildings of the historical core of today’s Slaný. The square and the plan of the streets have virtually remained the same as in the Middle Ages. On the northern side it is the Black Bastion that has survived until now as a part of the fortification system. Today, the Black Bastion is refurbished and at the beginning of the 90s the City Council allowed the Scout Organization to use it. Thanks to this fact it is in a very good condition, including adjacent premises.
District Commercial Savings Bank, Slaný
The house no. 518 – District Commercial Savings Bank was designed by Rudolf Štech. The front of the house is decorated with colourful fresco with allegoric figures of Thriftiness, which were designed per model drawings of Mikoláš Aleš.
District House no. 644, Slaný
A work of the architect Jan Vejrych and the builder Václav Havránek of Slaný. For the front Jan Vejrych use a principally Neo-Renaissance design, drawing elements from the so-called Saxon Renaissance as well. In the main axis over the balcony you can see a curled gable with a tent roof and a high tower. All this is complemented with Neo-Renaissance latticework in details. The bossed ground floor is interrupted with segment-vaulted windows; however on the front you can find Gothic-like elements, characteristic for Vejrych’s work.
Masaryk Square, Slaný (Martinice Court, Town Hall, Ungelt, Velvary Gate, Piarist College, the former Post Hotel, Nedvěd House)
Velvary Gate – The last gate of Slaný and one of the few remainders of the fortifications at all. It was completed in the 2nd half of the 15th century. It is 38 m high and is finished with a poppy head and a vane with the shape of a cock, the symbol of vigilance and alertness. The plastic decorations of the gate contain the municipal emblem, six guild emblems and land emblems of Bohemia and Moravia. Today, on the premises of the Velvary Gate there is an exhibition of the Local History Museum focused on fortifications of the town.
Piarist College no. 159 - Count Bernard Ignác Bořita of Martinice founded the Piarist College in 1658. It was completed in 1665. The Piarist College was used by students until 1939. After that the school moved to a new building in Smetana Square. The building also comprises the former college chapel of Mary’s Betrothment. In 1997 the building was subject to overall refurbishment. Today, the building serves as the seat of the Museum of Local History, Information Centre of Slaný, Václav Štech Library and the municipal cinema.
The Town Hall of Slaný, no. 3 - It is situated in Masaryk Square, in the historical centre of the town, in the place of the original house donated to the town by the King and Emperor, Charles IV in 1378. It burnt out several times and it was rebuilt into today’s appearance in 1895-96. It was adapted in the Renaissance style by the native architect of Slaný, Rudolf Štech. The tower is 43 m high and is terminated with a poppy head and a star.
House no. 160 - In the place of several houses that were destroyed during the Thirty Years’ War an inn was built. The construction of this building was initiated by the Count Bernard Ignác Bořita of Martinice, but the entire construction was realized by the Count Jiří Adam II. Bořita of Martinice in 1687. He built a manor inn here that belonged to the oldest ones in the town.
Today, the building is newly refurbished and serves as the seat of the Municipal Office of Slaný.
House no. 1 - The house in Masaryk Square is also known as the Manor House. In 1691 e.g. the Winter King, Friedrich the Palatine, slept in it on his way to Prague for his coronation as the King of Bohemia. At the beginning of the 17th century it was acquired by the Lord of Smečno, the Count Jaroslav Bořita of Martinice. The front of the house was renewed in the Neo-Baroque style at the end of the 19th century. This building represents a unique example of early Baroque architecture with a vaulted gateway with early Baroque entrance portals of individual rooms. Today, the house is subject to widespread refurbishment.
House no. 4 - This originally Gothic house dating back to the 16th century (fragments of windows and bevels on the façade was adapted in the 1st half of the 19th century. It is called “Ungelt” by the medieval law when goods delivered to the town were subject to the payment of a duty called “ungelt”.
House no. 9 - The house is built in the renaissance style with a preserved bay window dating back to the end of the 16th century and adapted in the late 18th century. It is decorated with Baroque elements - volutes under the windows and stucco sculptures. Over the entrance portal there is a brewing right emblem in a cassette.
Fountain - In 1873, the original fountain in Masaryk Square was adapted by the sculptor Wurzel. It was subject to major refurbishment in 2006 on the occasion of a visit of four presidents of the V4 Group.
Wiehl House - Wilson Street, Slaný
House of Julius Wiehl, no. 560
The house no. 560 with a front with sgraffito decorations was designed by Antonín Wiehl, a representative of Czech Neo-Renaissance. The construction was started in 1879.
Municipal Savings Bank, Slaný
The building of the Municipal Savings Bank was built by a design of Alois Mezera, an architect born in Slaný. It was festively opened on November 15, 1931. The sculptural group of Thriftiness on the building corner is made of sandstone and comes from the studio of the academic painter Václav Nejtek as well as the bronze double relief over the main entrance and the relief of Carrara marble in the entrance hall.
Municipal Theatre, Slaný
In 1879, the company of amateur actors of Slaný presented a proposal to build their own theatre building to the public. The winning design was submitted by Jindřich Fialka. The builder was František Štech and on June 24, 1882 the foundation stone of the new building was laid. The building was festively opened on December 30, 1883, 42 days after the National Theatre in Prague. The first play was a performance of “Mayor” a historical drama by Jan Kollár.
Jewish Synagogue, Slaný
Jews lived in Slaný in the Middle Ages already. However, their stay was limited and they were often prohibited to enter the city. A Jewish association was established in 1861 and the synagogue was built in 1865. The synagogue of Slaný had two parts - the entire house of prayer and a two-storey residential part used by the rabbi. The synagogue is decorated with a massive front with Moses Tables.
Grammar School of V.B. Třebízský, Slaný
The Grammar School of V. Beneš Třebízský started to be built in 1936 by the Vondráček and Klečánek Company from Prague. The education started on April 12, 1939. The school is a four-storey functionalist building with a glazed central hall with a staircase and symmetrical wings with classrooms, laboratories and changing rooms.
Hlaváček Square, Slaný (Commercial and Managerial School , former district orphanage, old people’s home)
District Poorhouse of 1890, now an old people’s home, the architect was Čeněk Štraybl. The District Orphanage was established in the refurbished Nedvěd House, from 1898 Poor School Sisters de Notre Dame operated the orphanage. The Commercial School dates back to the end of the 19th century. The education in the building designed by Karel Neumann started in 1907.
St. Wenceslas Church, Ovčáry
The church is first mentioned in documents in 1465. The church has a polygonal choir from the axis of which the entire aisle is shifted. There is a preserved tomb stone of Jiří Lumíkovský of Vrané and Blahotice dating back to the period before the Thirty Years’ War. The simple tomb is decorated with an ornamental Renaissance cassette. Just a fragment of the paint of St. Wenceslas between two angels has been preserved from the main altar of St. Wenceslas. The town of Slaný initiated overall refurbishment of the dilapidated building in 2003.
Wine-growers’ and fishermen’s column, Slaný (historical monument)
In the 30’s of the 19th century the column was situated at the cemetery of the St. Wenceslas Church in the settlement of Ovčáry. Today, it is located below the road leading from Slaný to Dolín. A sandstone, prismatic column decorated with vine ornaments with a chapel at the top. The model (probably of the original column dating back to the 16th century) is found in the Museum of Local History in Slaný. The column is a copy made by the sculptor Václav Nejtek.
Modletice House, Slaný
House no. 14. The best preserved Renaissance building in Slaný is house no. 14 called Modletice House. It belongs to the oldest preserved houses in the town. The building with a corner bay window has a stone portal dated 1587 with the initials SW. In the Baroque period a stone statue of St, John of Nepomuk with two angels was put over the portal.
Grand Municipal Centre, Slaný
The Grand Municipal Centre was opened after widespread refurbishment of the former Grand Hotel, which boasts a rich history dating back to the 16th and 17th centuries, when several buildings stood in the location. In the course of time it changed from a coaching inn to the White Lamb Hotel. In 1930 it became the Victoria Hotel and after the war the name Grand was renewed. The Grand Municipal Centre was newly opened on March 12, 2004 with the 1st ball of the royal town of Slaný.
Hemerka Estate, Slaný
The estate, formerly called “Stanovský” is found in the southern part of the town. The Renaissance building dating back to the early 17th century was rebuilt in the Baroque and Pseudo-Renaissance style. Today, it has been refurbished.
Sokol Gymnasium, Slaný
The first covered building in the town designed exclusively for sports purposes. The author of the design is the Prague architect Jan Zeyer. It was festively opened on August 15, 1897. It was rebuilt into today’s appearance in 1924.
St. Simon and Juda Church, village square chapel
It was first mentioned in 1325. In 1739 it was extended and in 1863 a new tower was built in the Pseudo-Gothic style instead the old one and in 1864 the church was also adapted. In 1908 the church interior was decorated by a design of prof. Karel Mašek.
St. James the Bigger Church, Otruby – Lidice
The church was first mentioned in 1352. In 1880 it was adapted on the basis of a design of A. Wolf. It is a Gothic building without a tower, just with a small tower on the roof.
Manor House, chapel, Želevčice
The Manor House dates back to the half of the 18th century. The granary in the village square dates back to 1776, the chapel dates back to 1913.