Infocentrum Slaný | For tourists | Culturally Historical Wandering 1 - 6.1
/images/a_03.gif
Information Centre Slaný
FOR TOURISTS - All about the town of Slaný, its history, monuments and today’s appearance. Tips for trips in the surroundings.
Infocentrum Slaný na Facebooku
Info

Infocentrum Slaný
Pod Velvarskou branou
Velvarská 136/1
274 01 Slaný

Phone: 312 523 448
e-mail: ic@infoslany.cz

Operation hours:
Mon - Fri
9.00 - 17.00
Sat, Sun, Hollidays
9.00 - 16:30


Zimní otevírací doba:
(listopad – březen)

Po – Pá
9.00 - 16.00
So, Ne, svátek
Zavřeno
Doporučujeme
© 2007 Infocentrum Slaný

Culturally Historical Wandering 1 - 6.1

This project is co-financed by the Central Bohemia Region.
http://www.centralbohemia.cz/?language=2 

"The Slaný Information Centre has since 2002 worked on the project of Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný (hereinafter referred to as the CHWS), the aim of which was to map the whole region of the 1938 political district of Slaný, i.e. a territory reaching nearly to Rakovník on one end, and to Kralupy nad Vltavou on the other end. The aim is to bring more details concerning the given locality to the visitors, to capture the attractions, the sights, unique places. The project ended in 2007. Over the past years, the Slaný Information Centre issued 13 volumes of CHWS, with the participation of the regional towns (approx. 50 towns and villages, some of them repeatedly). Without their understanding and financial contribution, we would never be able to complete this project.
The participation of Slaný, as the region´s representative, in very significant traditional tourism trade fairs brought record-breaking numbers of visitors to the region, from the Czech Republic, as well as from abroad, and this fact confirms that materials of this type are necessary. They are available in the Slaný Information Centre as a tip for an attractive one-day trip for tourists, also on bicycles. The tips present interesting suggestions for individual tourism, as well as for organized tourism. The whole series in Czech is available in the Slaný Information Centre; for more information, visit www.infoslany.cz." Zoja Kučerová, the Slaný Information Centre manager

1. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný
Slaný – Trpoměchy – Královice – Dřínov – Drchkov – Otruby – Lidice u Otrub – Slaný

2. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný
Slaný – Kvíček a Kvíc – Přelíc – Ledce – Šternberk – Smečno – Slaný

3. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný
Slaný – Hrdlív – Třebichovice – Saky – Netovice – Slaný

4. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný
Slaný – Byseň – Libovice – Pozdeň – Líský – Hřešice – Srbeč – Milý – Bdín – Kalivody – Řevničov - Třtice

5. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný
Slaný – Studeněves – Řisuty – Drnek – Mšec – Slaný

6/1 Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný
The Town´s Historical Centre

6/2 Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný 
Slaný in Fortifications

7. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný
Slaný – Dolín – Beřovice – Zlonice – Bakov – Želvčice – Slaný

8. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný
Slaný – Short Round Trip

9. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný
Slaný – Byseň – Lotouš – Neprobylice – Kutrovice – Kvílice – Třebíz – Hořešovice – Hořešovičky – Zichovec – Žerotín – Panenský Týnec

10. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný
Třebíz – Klobuky – Čeradice – Páleček – Stradonice – Lisovice – Vyšínek – Páleč – Peruc

11. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný
Slaný – Knovíz – Želenice – Třebusice – Holousy – Brandýsek – Cvrčovice – Olšany – Slaný

12. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný
Smečno – Svinařov – Libušín – Kačice – Nová Studnice – Hradečno – Nová Ves – Ledce - Přelíc

13. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný
Slaný – Dolín – Hobšovice –Velvary – Neuměřice – Kamenný Most – Zvoleněves – Podlešín – Knovíz – Slaný


1. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný


Slaný – Trpoměchy – Královice – Dřínov – Drchkov – Otruby – Lidice u Otrub – Slaný

Starting from the Information Centre in the Masarykovo náměstí Square (the former Piaristic College house, No. 159) we walk along past the Grand Town Centre up the Třebízského Street, out of the town. Road No. 3/23916 will take us to the Trpoměchy turn, which we will not take, however, and after approx. 300 metres, we will arrive to a shallow track on the right hand side of the road. On its opposite side, we will find a forgotten memorial. It is a so called conciliation stone with a scratched cross, the date 1753, and an inscription: ZDE VZAL SVÉ KONCE GIRZI LOSKOT (HERE, THE LIFE OF GIRZI LOSKOT ENDED). An old myth is connected to this stone – the Loskot Memorial.

TRPOMĚCHY
The first remarks about the village date back to the 13th century. In 1884, a builder from Slaný named František Štech built a chapel in the village.
On the way from Trpoměchy to Královice, we are passing a dominant hill named Řipec (312 m above sea level) on the left side of the road. A story about The lost treasure under the Řipec hill is connected with this hill

KRÁLOVICE
On the village green, near house No. 6, there is a chapel from the mid 18th century, sanctified to St. Michael the Archangel. In the village, we can see a stone bridge with the statues of St. John of Nepomuk and St. Václav made by a sculptor named Vedlík from Slaný.
The pre-historic settlement of Královice is confirmed by a mass finding of bronze and discovering the foundations of Celtic huts. The village came into existence at the end of the 13th or at the beginning of the 14th century. There used to be a fortress here, being occupied by local rulers until its destruction in the era of the Hussite wars. Baroque Calvary dominates the crossroads Zlonice-Královice-Dřínov.

DŘÍNOV (Slaný)
The first preserved note about the village is from 1316. There is a St. Lucas´ church in the village. The originally medieval church, commemorated in 1352, was later modified in baroque style. Houses No. 20 and 21 are examples of the region´s folk architecture.

DRCHKOV
The first remarks about the village date back to 1263, and the baroque chapel is sanctified to St. Vojtěch. On the way from Drchkov to Lidice u Otrub and Otruby, we are passing the Lužec mill on the Pozdeň stream on the right hand side, which belonged to the village of Drchkov. At the crossroads behind the Lužec mill, we can continue downright to Lidice u Otrub, or we can turn left, and take a more passable way to Otruby.

OTRUBY
Archaeological findings confirm ancient settlement also in the territory of the village of Otruby, or also Votruby, as the village used to be called. In July 1999, an antique conciliation cross was restored in the village.
From Otruby, we can return back to Slaný, or we can turn left and pass to Lidice u Otrub, also called Lidice Menší ("the Smaller").

LIDICE U OTRUB/ Lidice menší
Lidice Menší (the Smaller) were named in this manner to differentiate from Lidice Větší ("the Bigger") near Buštěhrad, and according to some resources, this village was already mentioned in the old Latin legends, as the property of prince Vratislav´s son, prince Václav. The first historically confirmed remarks about Lidice Menší are from 1290. Local church sanctified first to St. Václav, later to St. Ondřej, and finally to St. James the Greater, was preserved until today, in spite of several fires and demolitions.


The road is suitable for tourists, also on bicycles. The overall length is 14 km.
Slaný – Trpoměchy 3 km
Trpoměchy – Královice 2 km
Královice – Dřínov 2,5 km
Dřínov – Drchkov 1 km
Drchkov – Otruby 2,5 km
Otruby – Slaný 3 km


2. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný

Slaný – Kvíček a Kvíc – Přelíc – Ledce – Šternberk – Smečno – Slaný

Starting from the Information Centre in the Masarykovo náměstí Square (the former Piaristic College house, No. 159) we will pass through to the Komenského náměstí Square, and we will join the Záfortenská street at a point where one of the medieval fortification gates used to be. Along this street, we will go all the way to Červený potok, to the K.H.Borovský Street. We will pass the Přibyl´s spinning mill and the Na Vyhlídce locality, where a primeval settlement has been discovered; we will continue on the road to Kvíček, all the way to the chapel from the mid 19th century. We will walk along the Na Chmelnici Street, and a field road will take us to the Kvíc village green. Here, we can see a chapel dating back to 1892.

KVÍČEK AND KVÍC
Both villages, named Velký (Big) and Malý (Small) Kvíc in the Middle Ages, are difficult to differentiate in the beginnings of their history. The first remarks about Kvíc date back to 1316. Until 1620, it was the property of petty nobility and the town of Slaný. After the Battle of the White Hill, it became the property of the Smečno dominion. At present, winegrowing has been renewed in the Kvíc land register. In the village green, there is a signpost with green marking, directing us to the village of Přelíc.

PŘELÍC
The first written remarks about this village located in the Džbán country park date back to the beginning of the 14th century, and the St. Peter and Paul´s Church is from the second half of the same century. There are remains of a Romanic style to be traced on it, and also Early-Gothic elements. To the left from the church, there is a wooden hexagonal belfry with a stone base wall. From Přelíc, we will set off on the main road in the direction of Ledce, into the village of Šternberk.

LEDCE – ŠTERNBERK
The next stop in our wandering is Šternberk, a former spa belonging to the village of Ledce. There used to be a village with a fortress named Bílý Újezdec in this locality. The Šternberk spa was established in 1800-1801 on an impulse of Anna of Clam-Martinice, a countess from Smečno. The spa welcomed guests like Josef Jungmann or Karel Havlíček Borovský, the memory of whom is commemorated until these days via a memorial plaque on a spa house.
There used to be a narrow-gauge railway leading from Slaný, through Studeněves and Přelíc on to Šternberk and Smečno. We can still find modest remains of its track. From Šternberk, we will set off past Dr. Prokeš´Spring to the garden of the Smečno castle. We will pass the natural theatre in Lištice, where there are concerts oranized in summer. A military open-air museum with preserved demonstration of light fortification from 1935-1939 and with an exhibition of weapons of war is another interesting moment on the way. Behing the military object, we will turn left, and we will get to Smečno.

SMEČNO / Muncifaj
The origin of the Smečno Fortress dates back to the beginning of the 13th century, then it was bought by Markvart from Martinice in 1418. His son, Bořita, then had this fortress rebuilt into a castle. Smečno remained the property of the Martinic and the Clam-Martinic family until 1921. A Chapel of Anne forms a part of the castle, and after it was built, the tradition of an annual Anne´s Fair started. Today, the castle serves the purposes of a social care institution, and it is not open to public. However, we can look through the extensive manor park with rich sculptural decorations and an interesting salla terrena from the first half of the 18th century.
The path to the castle is decorated by two obelisks from one and the same period. Platzer´s Holy Trinity Sculpture in front of the castle dates back to 1744. The Holy Trinity Church was built in the second half of the 14th century. There are tomb stones of local nobility embedded in the outer enclosure walls. Opposite the church, there is a Renaissance deanery building, dating back to the 16th century, and a restored statue of St. Donát, which originally stood in the fields near Smečno. A stone obelisk with a cross in front of the school dates back to 1607, and St. George´s statue on the square is from the 18th century. After taking a walk through Smečno, we can return back to Slaný by bus, on foot along the national road, or we can take up another track.
In Slaný, by the main road to Smečno on the left, opposite the former Franta´s mill, there is a turn to the Holy Sepulchre´s Chapel (1664). We will go up a moderate hill among gardens, and the path through forest crop will take us to the chapel.

The road is suitable for tourists, also on bicycles. The overall length is 17.5 km.
Slaný – Kvíček 1,5 km
Kvíček – Kvíc 1,5 km
Kvíc – Přelíc 1,5 km
Přelíc – Ledce/Šternberk 3 km
Ledce/Šternberk – Smečno 4 km
Smečno – Slaný 6 km


3. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný

Slaný – Hrdlív – Třebichovice – Saky – Netovice – Slaný

The track begins at the Information Centre in the Masarykovo náměstí Square (the former Piaristic College house, No. 159). From here, we will set off along the Masnokrámská street on to the Komenského náměstí Square, and the Fortenská street will take us to the Záfortenská street. The Smečenská Street will take us out of the town, all the way to the crossroads leading to Hrdlív.

HOLY SEPULCHRE
Before we get there, however, we can take a little turn to the Holy Sepulchre Chapel. We can get there on an asphalt road which leads slightly uphill opposite the bus stop in the Smečenská Street. We will walk among gardens and at the end, by the cross, we will turn right, and rising slightly on a forest path, we will arrive to the Chapel. The Holy Sepulchre Chapel is located on a hill in the southern part of the town. This imitation of the sanctuary in Jerusalem was built by count Bernard Ignác of Martinice in 1665, after he returned from Jerusalem. The original chapel is still standing in Jerusalem today, and it is squeezed in a built-up area in the city centre. The fact that it has been an objective of pilgrims since time immemorial can be documented not only on old reports from their journeys, but also on minor works of art. We can see the images of the Holy Sepulchre on reliefs, on ivory boards, or as decorations on vials which served the purpose of carrying consecrated oils, wine, and water back home. The actual architecture has undergone a number of changes; it was close to destruction several times, and then modified fundamentally. The engraving created by Erhard Reuwich in 1483 is well known, depicting the chapel in Early-Medieval form, which was retained untill the fire in 1808, after which it was pulled down and built anew. The chapel in Slaný is formed by a polygonal core, and its front is structured by a blind arcade carried by columns of several types. The actual part is overbuilt by a polygonal-platform arbour with a bellcast roof. When we enter, we find ourselves in the so called angels´ chapel, where there is a blockstone on the floor, symbolizing the stone rolled away in front of Christ´s grave. Behind, there is the entrance to the tomb itself, where there is a range on the Northern side, where the body of Christ rested.
According to some sources, it is the oldest building of its kind in Bohemia. The chapel is a monument from Early Baroque.

HRDLÍV
The village of Hrdlív today used to write its name as Hrdlejov, Hrdlov, or Hrliw. These names strongly correspond to the Czech "hrdlo", i.e. "throat" in English. Local myth also says that there used to be a place of execution in a locality called "Šibenice", in the woods between Hrdlív and Smečno, where the convicted criminals´ throats were cut. However, Dr. Rudolf Koller, a historian, refuses this connection with the right of capital punishment in Smečno. The name of the village has probably been derived from a male name Hrdlej or Hrlej. The oldest written remark about the village dates back to the 28th June 1316, mentioning a ruler named Michal of Hyrlew. Since the 15th century, Hrdlív mostly belonged to the Smečno dominion, i.e. to the family of Martinic, or eventually the Clam-Martinic. The current emblem of the village also stems from the symbols of this family. From the time when the Slaný district office was established in the 19th century, Hrdlív belonged to the neighbouring village of Třebichovice until 1906. A precious and interesting yellow eglantine used to grow in Hrdlív. It was discovered in the village in the 1850s by Dr. Rudolf Koller, a historian. The presence of this scarce rose has also projected itself into the current village emblem. The village recently succeeded in getting this scarce rose back. In 2006, it was planted in the village again on the occasion of celebrating 100 years of independence, and 690 years of the history of the village. In December, a traditional competition for the best sauerkraut from Hrdlív takes place here.

TŘEBICHOVICE
The village of Třebichovice is located at the foot of the hill named Vinařická hora. The first written remark about the village dates back to 1324. There is a dominant smoke-stack here, marking the place where Schmidt´s circle brick plant used to be, modern in its time. It was established after World War I, in a place where the original five local handmade brick plants used to be. The bricks were still made here in 1979. Today, the abandoned brick plant has almost been taken to pieces. There also used to be a stone quarry with a gravel-pit in Třebichovice, where basalt from the Vinařická hora nearby was broken and processed. It ended its operation in the second half of the 20th century.
On the way from Třebichovice to Slaný, we will take the first quick right turn above the village, onto the road leading to Saky. After approximately three hundred meters, there is a mill on the right hand side, named Paninský mlýn. Directly opposite the road leading to the mill, there used to be a columnar Calvary in a dense growth of air-raid plants. An old myth is connected with this mill – "About Paninský mlýn".

SAKY
The first written remark about the village dates back to 1382. There is a square Baroque chapel with a belfry in the village, dating back to the first half of the 19th century.
From Saky, we will continue through Pchery, Jemníky, to Netovice.

NETOVICE
Ancient settlement of the existing village land register and its surroundings is documented by archaeological findings dating back to the end of the 19th century. The first written remarks about the village date back to the mid 11th century.
On the way from Netovice to Slaný, there is an interesting sand-stone rock at the turn leading to the gardens. It is allegedly a conciliation stone, without any decorations or inscriptions.

On a plane between Slaný and Netovice, we can look over the Slaný airport with a memorial dedicated to killed American pilots. On the 2nd March, 1945, there were 1232 bombardiers from the 8th USAAF air army taking the air, accompanied by 774 supporting fighter planes. They were heading for Germany, where they were going to destroy several fuel plants. About 200 German planes from the 9th Fliegerkorps flew to defy them. The air fight took place above Saxony, and several battles also took place above Bohemia. On the premises of the Slaný Aeroclub Airport, on Saturday, the 28th September 1996, a memorial was ceremoniously dedicated to 8 killed American pilots shot down above Slaný on the 2nd March 1945 in a Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress bombardier. Out of the entire crew, only one survived.

SLANÝ
Arriving to the town, we walk past the speedway stadium on the right hand side – The MOTO Club Slaný was established on the 1st December 1922. The idea of creating a speedway stadium in Slaný originated in the years 1948- 1949. The history of speedway races in Slaný began on the 13th August 1950. Speedway was, and still is, the most prominent sport in town. The officials in Slaný have always been progressive, which can be documented by the fact that in 1954, the electric lights were installed here, and on the 26th May of the same year, the first Czechoslovak race took place here under the electric lights. The work on the construction stand began in 1984, and ended in 1988. Behind the rail crossing on the right, we can see the building of the old slaughter-house.
Palaba
Famous "battery" in Slaný was one of the youngest in comparison with other industrial plants in town, but due to its rapid start, it was comparable to the Baťa plants in Zlín. The founder of the plant, Jaroslav J. Pála, put the modern industrial plant into operation in the beginning of October 1925. Production increase surpassed the former expectations. The following year, it was already necessary to further extend the plant, which was from then on called PALABA Slaný, and employed up to 800 employees. After the nationalization in 1946, the plant was renamed to Bateria.
We will walk past the blocks of houses, down to Pražské předměstí, where our walk ends.

Slaný – Hrdlív 5 km
Hrdlív – Třebichovice 2 km
Třebichovice – Saky 2 km
Saky – Netovice 7 km
Netovice – Slaný 3,5 km

The overall length of the track is 19.5 km. It is suitable for tourists, also on bicycles. The path includes roads of the 2nd and 3rd class.


4. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný

Slaný – Byseň – Libovice – Pozdeň – Líský – Hřešice – Srbeč – Milý – Bdín – Kalivody – Řevničov - Třtice

The track begins at the Information Centre in the Masarykovo náměstí Square (the former Piaristic College house, No. 159). From here, we will set off along the Husova Street and the Třebízského Street, out of the town of Slaný. We can use road No. 16 (direction Řevničov), where we will turn right onto road No. 23638, direction Byseň.

BYSEŇ
Ancient settlements around Byseň are confirmed by archaeological findings in the village, in the direction of Lotouš. The first written remarks date the village back to 1316. The only historical monument in the village is represented by a chapel from 1860. The efforts to preserve the remains of the medieval fortress were unsuccessful.

LIBOVICE
The first written remarks about the village date back to the second half of the 13th century. In the 14th and the 15th century, the village was divided among the local petty nobility. After the Battle of the White Hill, the entire village was annexed to the Smečno dominion. Upon the arrival at Byseň, there is a stone cross on the left. There is a Baroque chapel from the 18th century i the village green.
The road we take to continue to Jedomělice passes a valley lined with forest named Kejkol or Na Kejkolu. This area is often visited by mushroom-pickers. The road will take us through Jedomělice to Pozdeň. The villages of Pozdeň, Hřešice, Srbeč, and Bdín are situated in a valley where the Srbečský Stream runs through, being called Pozdeňský Stream from Hřešice on. There are mixed forests around the villages.

POZDEŇ
The village of Pozdeň was first documented in writing in the years 1273 and 1296. The original church of St. John the Baptist´s Decapitation was built in 1289, according to the preserved year written above the triumphal arch, and it was built by the village owner at that time, Plichta of Žerotín. In 1858, the local church was built up in a Baroque style to get the present appearance. Václav Štrajbl from Vraný was the builder. The main altar is from 1772, and it was originally placed in the St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague. It was transferred to Pozdeň in 1879. The church is largely furnished in the Rococo style. The St. John the Baptist´s statue located in the village green dates back to 1746.

LÍSKÝ
The first remarks about the village date back to 1300, and the first written remarks date back to 1616. The name of the village probably relates to the hazel bush. Líský is located on a slope of the woody Třebíz forest area. The forests were preserved above Milý, and they create a so called Bor. There is an interesting place above the village, the "Royal" well, also called "Královka". Královka is perhaps the most famous well around, famed due to the legend about Elisabeth of Bohemia ("Eliška Přemyslovna"), to whom an old hermit appeared here, when she was running away from her husband, John of Luxembourg, to Bavaria. She entrusted the key to the Czech Crown to this hermit. After she returned to Bohemia, the keys were said to be washed-up in Třebíz nearby. We can find the well in a birch wood behind the village of Líský, direction to Bílichov. Královka offers a view into crystal clear water, and a pleasant sitting in a calm environment. There is an inscription on the well, which reads: „Nevyhyne zato pramen zdejší, dokud Čechové v Čechách budou žít“ ("The local spring will not become extinct, as long as the Czechs live in the Czech land").

HŘEŠICE
Formerly also written as Řečice or Řešice, this village is located on the road from Pozdeň to Srbeč. The first remarks about the village appeared in 1266. The next remarks appeared in 1362. In the 14th century, a fortress used to be in Hřešice, acquired by Petřík from Hostivař together with a part of the village. The fortress perished in the 15th century, and according to Ferdinand Velc, a brewery used to be a part of the fortress, the underground ruins of which are located in the house No. 12. World War II also left its tragic marks in the village. The village chapel and the Calvary on the road out of the village, leading to Srbeč, are without dates. Just behind the village, there is the "Babinecký" lake. The distance between Hřešice and Srbeč is 3 km. On the road, we can also stop by the lakes named "Dubový" ("oak") and "Spálený" ("burnt"). The road will take us all the way to Srbeč.

SRBEČ
The first preserved remarks about Srbeč date back to 1227. The Church of St. James the Greater has been in Srbeč since 1350. This building, Gothic originally, was rebuilt in 1877-80. The church tower probably dates back to the 16th century. There are two tomb stones with coats of arms in the church – the tomb stones of Jetřich Reichl of Reich from 1575, and of Adam Hruška of Březno from 1581, the owners of the village, the fortress, and the surrounding estates.
From Srbeč, we can also set off along the road towards Mšec. We will pass a repaired Baroque alcove chapel above Srbeč. We will turn right approximately 200 m later, onto a path leading uphill, to look over a place of pilgrimage with a Church of the Holy Trinity. The church, which was originally a Chapel of the Holy Trinity, dates back to the end of the 16th century in written documents, when Matyáš Štampach of Štampach, the master in Mšec, had a cottage built here for a hermit. The chapel was rebuilt in a Baroque style around 1700, and it was last modified in 1896.

MILÝ
The village named Milý was established in the times of King George of Poděbrady rule. The first written remarks date back to 1381. The village green is surrounded by estates mostly from the turn of the 19th and the 20th century. The northern part of the village green is the most well-preserved. Some houses´ fronts are original. The set of granges, preserved in almost all the estates, is exceptionally compact. It mostly comprises of large hop kilns, and barns. Large estates in Milý are completed by smaller houses and cottages from the first third of the 20th century in an interesting way. The view of the village green in Milý is completed by the St. Michael´s Chapel from 1736. The village registered the greatest construction boom, as well as the greatest number of citizens in the period of 1854 – 1869. Local school started to teach children in 1869, in house No. 19. In 1908, the building of the new school was approved, which later became the cultural and educational centre of the village. In 1917, the real coal mining started. In 1924, the current official name "Milé" changed to "Milý". In 1961, the school was abandoned, and the children now commute to Srbeč and Mšec. Since 1990, the village has been made independent on Srbeč. We will continue to Kalivody, passing Bdín on our way.

KALIVODY
There is a timbered storey house from the 18th century in the village. Next to house No. 6 in the village green, there is a Baroque chapel. On the way to the Poboř Lake, we will find a stone cross from 1867. West from the village, there is a locality named Kalivody, significant on a European level. It is a system of three lakes and surrounding wet meadows with rare fauna.

ŘEVNIČOV
The village lies southwest of Slaný. The Řevničov surroundings have already been settled long ago, remains of Neolithic settlements have been found here.
The village itself was established via a deed signed by King John of Luxembourg on the 4th November 1325. The village has been built around an intersection of significant Erfurt trail and the trail leading from Dřevíč to Křivoklát. In the middle of the village, the Church of St. Peter and Paul was built, the first written remarks dating it back to 1352, and it was rebuilt and enlarged in a Baroque style in the 18th century, which also gave it its present look. Near the church, a Baroque statue of St. John of Nepomuk was installed, made in 1784. Near the lake under the church, the St. Anne´s Chapel was built in 1830. A hill named Louštín (537 meters above sea level) is the highest point in the Řevničov land register. The remains of a medieval castle from the first half of the 13th century were found on this hill. In 1506, the hill is described as empty; only traces of drains and dykes were preserved from the castle, the stone from the fortification was used to build Max´s game-preserve. From the top of Louštín, there is a beautiful view of the vast scenery, and legends say that even the Prague Castle´s towers could be seen from the oak that used to grow at the top of the hill.

TŘTICE
The village is special due to its location. It is snuggled in a valley among the Kopanina, Žalý, and Barbora hills, behind the belt of lakes connected by the Kačák Stream, where there also is a peat moor today. The oldest settlement probably dates back to the Stone Age, the first written remarks mentioning Třtice are from the 14th century, describing a village with a fortress. In 1352, the village feudally belonged to the Castle of Křivoklát. The St. Nicholas Church was originally a Gothic building, probably sanctified to St. Václav, which could be proved by a mysterious inscription on a stone in the church wall behind the chancel. In the second quarter of the 18th century, the church has undergone a significant Baroque reconstruction according to the project of Fr. I. Prée, the architect. The building is single-aisle, with a wagon-vault with lunettes; the square presbytery has a flat ceiling. The church tower, completed by an onion cupola, only shelters one bell out of the original four – the St. Trinity Bell manufactured by master Flemmik from Rakovník in 1607. The memorial for the 27 killed soldiers from World War I was dedicated on the 21st May 1923 by the Freedom Linden Tree, planted on the 3rd November 1918. Its author is the monumental mason named Toupalík from Mšec. A white marble plaque was added to the memorial, with the names of the killed and the tortured from World War II. There was a school in the village already in 1776. New school was built in 1826 (house No. 80), and another one was being built during the war – teaching began in September 1940. With a view to the demographic decline, the school was abandoned in 1978. House No. 80 was rebuilt in 2002 to serve the purposes of the Municipal Office.
The Bucek Lake with acreage of 25.7 ha is the second largest lake in the region. The dike has existed for a minimum of 400 years, according to the oaks listed in the natural monuments register. Bucek is tied to a cascade of other lakes on the Kačák Stream, under the woods. The place is suitable for recreation – there are tent and cabin camps, bike tourism.
We will walk on in the direction of Mšec, which is a part of tour No. 5.


Slaný – Byseň 4 km
Byseň – Libovice 1,5 km
Libovice – Jedomělice 3,5 km
Jedomělice – Pozdeň 3,5 km
Pozdeň – Líský 2 km
Líský – Pozdeň 2 km
Pozdeň – Hřešice 1,5 km
Hřešice – Srbeč 3 km
Srbeč – Milý 2,5 km
Milý – Srbeč 2,5 km
Srbeč – Bdín 2,5 km
Bdín – Přerubenice 1 km
Přerubenice – Kalivody 1,5 km
Kalivody – Řevničov 6,5 km
Řevničov – Třtice 4,5 km
Třtice – Mšec 4 km

The overall length of the track is 46 km. It is suitable for tourists, also on bicycles. The path includes roads of the 2nd and 3rd class.


5. Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný

Slaný – Studeněves – Řisuty – Drnek – Mšec – Slaný

We will begin this trip at the Slaný Information Centre in the Masarykovo náměstí Square (the former Piaristic College house, No. 159). We will set off along the Husova Street, on to the Wilsonova and Lacinova Street, past the multipurpose sports hall, in the direction of Studeněves.

STUDENĚVES
Medieval settlement of this village was proved by archaeological findings in 1893. During the construction of a new kiln in the Clam-Martinic brick plant, the workers found remains of the Quarternary culture approximately 4 meters deep – a figuline, shattered larger vessels, and animal and human bones. The first written remarks about the village date back to 1372. Discovering coal in the surroundings of Studeněves in the second half of the 18th century was very beneficial for the village. Over the time, several mines were open here. The Louisa shaft was the most important. The mining stopped on the 2nd April 1904. According to written documents from 1887, there was a small grange and a sugar mill of Jindřich Jaroslav, the Count of Clam-Martinic, who also owned the carboniferous mines. In 1904, there was a sugar mill and a steam mill here. The original fortress was located in the area of the granary, and the future farm buildings of today´s farm.
There used to be a narrow-gauge railway leading from Slaný past Studeněves and Přelíc to Šternberk and Smečno. Modest remains of the trail can still be seen here.

ŘISUTY
Pre-historic settlement of the present village of Řisuty is proved by findings in a locality named "Na Kopcích", where tombs were discovered with bent skeletons of the Únětice type. The first written remarks about the village date back to 1316. The Church of St. James the Greater was originally Medieval, Gothic, and it was rebuilt into the present appearance in the 18th century. In front of the church, there is a Baroque wooden belfry on a stone base wall. The premises of estate No. 14 are interesting, as it presents an example of a Slaný type Baroque estate. "The Legend of Alena from Řisuty" ties to Řisuty, as well as "The Legend of the Řisuty Castle".
We will set off in the direction of Drnek, past Malíkovice.

DRNEK
Prior to the establishment of the village of Drnek, there was a construction of the greatest farmstead in the Smečno dominion – the Martinice Manor. Count Adolf Bernard of Martinice had two new settlements established near the manor in 1726, named Nová Studnice and Drnek. In 1759, the first blacksmith´s forge was open in the village. From 1841, the settlement was assigned to Malíkovice, together with Nová Studnice nearby. Drnek became an independent village in 1924.

About the hunting pavilion near Drnek
In 1902, count Jindřich of Clam-Martinic had a hunting pavilion built near Drnek, probably in the area of the lower part of the Svídná village, extinct today, where he used to rest with the suit after the hunting and to stuff their stomacs with provisions brought or hunted down. Near Drnek, there used to be a village of Svídná, extinct today.

The extinct village of Svídná
In the Summary of historical and artistic sights in the Slaný political district, Ferdinand Velc mentions " an extinct settlement located 1.5 km west of Malkovice, spreading on a hill in a forrest, which is being called Svídna".The Svídná village is documented in writing in 1373. It is not known when and how the village became extinct. There used to be years long silence about Svídná or Svídna, as the village was called over different times, and it was only reminded by legends speaking about the origin of the Church in Malíkovice. People used to know the woods, as well as the spring below, named "Castle Wine". In the 1960s, archaeologist PhDr. Zdeněk Smetanka became interested in the extinct village. It was his initiative that the village was localized and its gradual uncovering began. After the excavations were documented, the remains of the uncovered buildings were again covered by earth, and all the area was returned to the original state.

Martinice Estate
The Martinice Estate was built in 1711 by the Smečno count Jiří Adam Bořita of Martinice.
The extinct village and fortress of Humniště
The Martinice Estate was built approximately in the area of the former village of Humniště. August Sedláček, in his book named Towers, Castles, and Fortresses of the Czech Kingdom writes: "The estate (Martinice) spreads on a point, which is enclosed from three sides by deep forest valleys. At the end of that point, there used to be a fortress, surrounded by a wide moat all round. It was a pele, enclosed by a barrier strengthened by two citadels in the corners. On the east side, there was a tower dwelling of rectangular base. That was the look years ago; however, today everything is upside down in the fortress, because stone was mined here, without a doubt..." Between the point with the fortress, also called Staré hrady, and the present estate, there used to be the village of Humniště. From the Martinice Estate, it is not far to get to the road between Mšec and Slaný, to the bus stop Ostrov, at the gamekeeper´s house, and we will continue in the direction of Mšec.

MŠEC
The Czech name for the village of Mšec is known due to the preserved written report on the first known local sovereign Dcheř of Mšec (1316-1318). The vicarage in Mšec was first mentioned in the materials from 1352, when probably also the St. Catherine Church used to be here. The castle was built at the turn of the 16th and the 17th century in place of the original medieval fortress. It was modified several times during the 17th and the 18th century. The baroque Church of St. Catherine was built in 1780 in place of the original church (from 1352). Also the vicarage was built in 1780. House No. 51 "U Kněžáků" is one of the interesting sights, with two alcoves with statues of St. John of Nepomuk and St. Joseph. The alcove chapel in front of the church today is without the St. Václav´s statue.

The overall length of the track is 32 km. It is suitable for tourists, also on bicycles. The path includes roads of the 2nd and 3rd class.

Slaný – Studeněves 3,5 km
Studeněves – Řisuty 3 km
Řisuty – Drnek 4,5 km
Drnek – Mšec 6,5 km
Mšec – Slaný 14,5 km


6/1 Culturally Historical Wandering around Slaný– The Town´s Historical Centre

Masarykovo náměstí Square is the historical centre, and the hearth of the town of Slaný, with acreage of 1ha 35 ares, and 13 square metres. There have been hundreds of both secular and clerical festivities in the square; there have been crowds of people present at demonstrations, and the square sounded by their rejoicing in the great days of the town´s history, as well as of the nation´s history. The square remembers magnificent visits of rulers and noble people, the tumults of military bodies of all possible armies, and the delegations from distant cities. In 1425, the square was lit up by the fire from the meat shops´ pyres, where the victorious Hussites from the Tábor party burnt a large portion of the town´s defenders to death after a long-lasting siege.

There used to be a pillory in the middle of the square, together with other means of the justice at that time (brakes, cages, and wheels with chains). The ultimate punishment was carried out by sword in a place of execution, which was always built for this purpose. The last public execution was carried out on the 1st September 1656. In 1681, a Plague Column of the Holy Trinity was built in the square, which was, however, torn down and destroyed in 1920. The original round fountain from 1529 was rebuilt at the end of the 16th century. New fountain was built here in 1825. The Slaný fountain got its present appearance in 1873, thanks to the sculptor named Wurzel. In 2006, there was an extensive reconstruction. There are three crosses from basalt blocks in the square, reminding the places of the pyres, where the protreeve, the aldermen, and the town defenders were burnt to death in 1425, after the town was seized by the united Hussite armies. The statue of the first president, Tomáš Garrique Masaryk, was dedicated in the Slaný square on the 28th October 2000. It was the work of academic sculptors Miroslav Pangrác and František Radvan, and the metal founder Petr Dvořák.
We will start our story about the houses lining the Slaný square in the west part, with the corner house No. 110. In the 15th and the 16th century, the house belonged to the Slaný blazon family of Novodomský of Šimberk. There is an interesting oriel window on the house, with embossments of significant Czech personalities, such as Jan Žižka, Jan Hus, Charles IV. In the neighbouring house, No. 111, the poet and writer Svatopluk Čech lived in 1872-73, and wrote his poem named Adamité. In the area of the house No. 114, there used to be two houses in the Middle Ages, which were pulled down, and there was a building raised in their place, serving the purposes of the Regional Office. In 2000, the deteriorating object was bought out from the town, and by the end of 2002, the new owners rebuilt it into a representative accommodation, restaurant, and culturally-social facility.

We will cross the Dominik Kynský Street, and past the house No. 135 with ancient pharmacy "U Orla", we will continue to house No. 136, the Town Council building, being in place of the original two medieval houses. The front house was the only house in the square with an arcade. In the period 1873-1948, it used to be the seat of the Civic Savings Bank of Slaný. In April 1950, the object was acquired by the Town People´s Committee´s Administration. The Town Council´s back wing neighbours with the Velvary Gate (No. 137), or eventually with the Gothic tower of the original double gate, built in place of the old gate in 1460-63. The gate´s tower is 38 m high. There is an exhibition of the town´s fortification in the premises of the Velvary Gate.

Corner house No. 138 is decorated by beautiful sundial. In place of the existing house No. 1004, there used to be two houses from the Middle Ages on – No. 143 and 144. House No. 144 was a municipal house for years, with the Music School having its origins here, as well as the Winter Commercial School, the Library, and the Geographical Museum. Both houses were pulled down in 1925, and the new post office was built in their place, beginning its operations on the 15th June 1928.

The eastern part of the square has undergone the greatest construction changes. After crossing the Fričova Street, we are standing in front of the former Pošta Hotel (today the Town Council´s building). In the Middle Ages, there used to be three houses on the land plot of this house No. 160. Jiří Adam II. Bořita, count of Martinice (the nephew of Bernard Ignác Bořita of Martinice) then had a pub built here. The Geographical Museum´s building, No. 159, was built in the open space left by the houses destroyed in the Thirty Years´ War. In 1660, a Piaristic College was built here, established by Bernard Ignác Bořita, count of Martinice on the 1st July 1658. The Piaristic College with the Chapel of Engagement of Virgin Mary served the purposes of educating the youth from Slaný and its surroundings until May 1939, when the grammar school moved to the new building in today´s Smetanovo náměstí Square. The left wing of the Piaristic College was in the years 1846-1877 the first permanent stage of the Slaný theatrical amateurs. In 1940, the Geographical Museum moved to the building, followed by the Town Library in 1960 (today the V. Štech´s Library), and the house is also the seat of the Slaný Information Centre. In 1997, a new cinema was built and open in the building´s back wing.

One-storey house No. 9 has been built in a Baroque style, with preserved oriel window from the end of the 16th century. It was modified to get the present appearance at the end of the 18th century. It is decorated by Renaissance portal, oriel window, and ornaments. The oriel window, Renaissance originally, we rebuilt in Baroque (volutes under the windows), bear sculpture dated 1779. The entrance portal in cartouche, brewery privilege sign "U Černého koně" – house No. 8 was one of the three renowned coaching inns in the Slaný square. There is a preserved winch well here. In 1630, house No. 7 (abandoned by the emigrants of the Sixt of Ottersdorf family) was sold by count Jaroslav Bořita of Smečno to his regent, Zachariáš Vejda of Bezděkov. It is decorated by Baroque embossment of Immaculata (Madonna standing on the Earth, entwined by a snake, holding a lily in her hand). This was the house where the first Piarists dwelled, having been summoned up to Slaný in 1658.

Ancient Ungelt, house No. 4 – in 1377, Slaný was granted ungelt (dose of salt) from the ruler, against a loan, together with the office of "šrotéřství" (selling this salt at the town charges). The house was Late-Gothic originally, modified in Baroque, and newly restored in the first half of the 19th century. There is the original passage into the present Štechova Street; it is possible to pass through the house. Slaný Town Hall, No. 3, is located in the area of the former town hall, being dedicated to the town of Slaný on the 23rd June 1378 by Charles IV, the emperor and the king. He gave a house to the town of Slaný for the purpose of building the town hall, being the emperor´s via the right after the deceased citizen Lukáš. The emperor made the donation with an explicit order that the town shall arrange this house to serve the purposes of the town hall. The original house was one-storey high, with a high gradational gable, windows, and high prismatic tower of a square platform, as high as the present tower, and with a gallery. The tower had an onion roof with a belfry decorated by a star. On the first floor level, there was a 24-hour astronomical clock, reminding the one in Prague. In 1751, Michal Bořita, count of Martinice, had a new house built in place of the old town hall, which, however, completely burnt during the fire on the 2nd August 1795. In the years 1795-96, the town built a new town hall, equipped with tower clock with two iron dials, with two cimbaloms above them. In 1890, the town hall in Slaný went through further greater modifications, being arranged in a Renaissance style by Rudolf Štech, an architect from Slaný. The tower is 43 metres high, segmented into two storeys. The last restoring modifications to the Slaný town hall were carried out by the firm named Obnova památek V. Sedláček Hostouň in 1996 – 1997. House No. 1 had a lot of significant guests over the centuries. On the 29th and the 30th October 1619, Frederick the Winter King was a guest here. The so called Mansion House, however, soon became a Suzerain House, because after the White Hill Battle and the subsequent events, it became the property of Jaroslav Bořita, count of Martinice, first as a bail in 1623, then as the property in 1638. It remained the Suzerain House during the Clam-Martinic rule, until 1870, when it was returned to the town. House No. 1 was newly built in 1629, and rebuilt in 1687 and 1750. At present, the original passage way is beautifully restored, allowing for passing through the house, on foot and in carriage, into the neighbouring Martinic brewery yard.

The Novodomský House No. 86 is the one-but-last house on our walk around the Slaný square, named after the blazon family of Novodomský of Šimberk, the owners of the house since the first half of the 15th century. The Šimberk family tomb stone is embedded in the wall of the deanery church of St. Gothard in Slaný. The last house is No. 87, which also served the purposes of a couching inn in the period between mid-16th century and the beginning of the 17th century. The arcade, allowing for passage onto the Slaný Square, was built in this house in the 1940s.

Print Top